My D Mike and I have both been off work on vacation and we have more or less spent the whole time burning rubbish moving furniture from one room to the next, but I did send him off sailing 4 times because this was my bright idea not his and I felt guilty that I was hijacking his holiday and he works so hard he needed a rest too .
So as you can imagine, once you start doing things it sort of snowballs - I decided with my new doors and walls that I didn't like the old fashioned fire in the fireplace - so I had the gas cut off and the old fire removed and I have bought a more contemporary glass-fronted fire --- oh yes there is more ......... I didn't like my light fittings so bought two new lights (both items found on ebay at great prices). I am going to recycle my curtains and convert them into Roman Blinds. I purchased a pair of long black curtains in a fake shot silk, so the blinds will be creamy gold in the middle and have a black edge to them. I have never made Roman blinds before but found a great u tube video so will give it a go.
Not much of a holiday but a real opportunity to have a massive spring clean - we have a skip outside full up with rubbish. I bagged up 6 bags of clothes that I have not worn for years, or don’t fit me and given to charity. I am still trying to make all my clothes so I thought this was a good opportunity to have a good clear out - quite cathartic actually.
My builders came at 7:30am again today – and my D Mike went home last night to see his son and sail again today, so decided to finish my sewing today before I have to start thinking about painting these walls.
I confess that I had problems with the hem at the front of the jacket - I am not sure if the piping was pulling the hem up but I unpicked it and pressed it several times.
I ended today by using the remainder of the silky fabric to make another top to go with the trousers and jacket - having made the frilly leopard print blouse (see earlier post) I wanted to make something different and my choice was assisted by the fact that I didn't have too much of the fabric left to cut out a complete vest top using the M5977.
In order to make sure
the top look more "designer" than "not enough fabric"
I made a 1" wide trim and hand pinned, then tacked it
in place before machine stitching through the centre as shown in the photo.
I did a FBA and lined it using the method shown on
the Finishing Touches video.
I now have 4 pieces for my collection and I am now thinking that I could make a skirt in brown crepe fabric that will match the top above.