Sunday 2 June 2013

Productive sewing weekend.

This weekend was very productive in sewing terms, as you know I ran up a cute little nightdress for my DGD Saturday, and cut out another shirt for my D Mike to work on in the flat during the week.

Mike left to go sailing today just after 8am, so this gave me an early start in my sewing room.  First job was to cut out the extra pattern pieces for the collar stay on Mike's new shirt, construct the cuffs so I could embroider them, and make up the collar and collar stand before leaving for London.  This leaves the rest of the construction to be done at the flat.

I have been doing a lot LOADS of sewing for other people, so now it was my turn again.  The same day I purchased my blue cotton jersey that I sewed my PJ set with, I also purchased a really cute stretch lace which has a sort of iridescent pearl look to it.

I didn't have a lot of fabric to play with because I purchased the end of the roll (after my sister had purchased a metre for herself lol).

So what to sew with this fabric.  I immediately saw a top that could work well for evening or day wear, and Diana of Sew SewPassionista by DIANA  (check out her blog its great) had made up Vogue 8323. I loved her top, and subsequently purchased the pattern.

Pattern description   Knit tops with princess seams and stitched hems.  A: sleeveless armholes with bias tape finish.  B: cowl collar neckline with below elbow length sleeves.  C: scoop neckline with bias tape finish.



I made up view C and this is such a quick top to sew.  I think it took me a little over an hour to construct the whole thing - if I factor in the cutting out of the pattern, and fabric, I guess around 1.5 hours in total.

I made a slight change to the pattern instructions, which you really don't need to read, but I did glance at how they finished the neck edge.  The pattern calls for bias tape finish, but because I was using the cover-stitch feature of my Babylock Evolution, I just turned under the seam allowance and  used a wide cover-stitch.  I did the same for the hems.

I have several ideas on how I will wear this (hopefully pictures next weekend).  Because the lace is see-through, I will need to wear a camisole underneath - I could wear white, or black or nude to create different looks.

I love my new top.  The cost was £2.00 - a bargain.

I did sew up another quick-sew 2948 cardigan just before I left for London, but didn't have time to hem it, or photograph it.  I used an ugly fabric (well I think it was an ugly fabric, one man's poison is another man's wine, or perhaps one that someone gave me) and I has turned out lovely.  This will be finished and blogged about next weekend when Mike is off sailing AGAIN..............

I hope you have all had a great weekend.  Catch you later........

19 comments:

  1. Lovely lace top. I would think most any color cami would look good underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lace top is gorgeous! You are always picking the nicest patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great top, Pauline, I have this pattern but have never cut into it. I really love your lace version here and may just copy you! Keep up the self-sewing. You deserve it!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorcas - I have a few items planned

      Delete
  4. Wonderful lace top. Wish we could find that kind of lace here. No such luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann this was a lucky find I don't often see it.

      Delete
  5. Oh so pretty!1 I so love lace! Thank you Pauline for the comment you left me. I know there's something wrong with my blog as no one comments anymore and I had a nice following at one time. I've contacted Google to see if they can help me resolve the issue. Have a great week .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lace top.. Can't wait to see what you wear it with..Gorgeous pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This top is so lovely and feminine! Nice to see you sewing for yourself for a change :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Coco, it is nice to do something for me, however my daughter reminded me that I need to make the quilt for Lilly lol

      Delete
  8. home q0v72v7d98 aaa replica bags replica evening bags read here q3y35f4s71 replica bags china replica bags reddit replica bags korea next e8v69k4d21 replica bags koh samui

    ReplyDelete