The first item I made was the the BurdaStyle geometric sheath dress - I made the blue version for my sister's wedding earlier this year in May and last week I made the same dress again, but this time using a black lycra mix fabric together with some black and gold panels from a kaftan bought for me as a gift from Dubai by my friend.
I am pleased to report that I wore the dress last night for my work Christmas party and the photo you see above is me booted and suited (so to speak) just before we left for the party. The only photo that was taken at the event was one by the "official photographer" and I am not sure when I will see that.
So having made two dresses successfully, that I love, I thought I would get going on another pattern, this time from the October 2012 magazine. This particular addition had several blouses that I absolutely loved, but to kick things off, I chose 10/2012-122, the folded yoke blouse.
Here are the details:-
Women’s blouse Available in various sizes: 36,38,40,42,44
This blouse has simple details that give it big impact. Folded yoke pieces are simply caught in the shoulder and sleeve attachment seams. They turn an otherwise simple blouse with V-neckline into a unique garment.
I used a nice soft white 100% cotton that I had in my stash and cut a size 38 and did my normal FBA and broad/sway back alterations.
The only thing I scratched my head about was the placement of the folded yoke - I don't think I noticed the placement lines for this folded yoke when tracing the pattern, so was stumped when trying to work out how it worked. Once I did it was easy. After sewing the darts, the yoke pieces are folded, wrong sides together, placed on the front with the curved part of the yoke following the curve of the armcye and then caught in place..
This was an extremely quick top to sew up. I love its simplicity, but with that little extra feature of the yoke giving it just a little twist. This is a top that can be worn with a pair of jeans or equally well for work/formal wear - I love it.
I have some ideas bouncing around in my head that I may put to good use if I make this again.
So having said all of the above, here is the finished article which unfortunately could only be photographed on Edna due to a lack of available photographer lol. This top may get its first outing to the office tomorrow.
I did do a little multi-tasking while sewing my blouse, I set up my embroidery machine to start making squares ready to be turned into a quilt for the new baby due later this month. I loved the last quilt I made and am using the same patterns again and here are the first 2 squares I have completed. The Tigger and pooh one took around 1 hour to stitch out and the Pooh one slightly less.