I was feeling rather under pressure to start sewing for the wedding, especially as I only have 11 weeks 5 days to complete all my sewing and next weekend I won't be doing any sewing because we are off to Paris.
I managed to purchase some very pretty fabric that I want to use for my little bridesmaids and cut out the pattern today to make a start.
The bodice is a very simple the pattern envelope says:-
CHILDREN'S/GIRLS' DRESS AND CUMMERBUND: Fully underlined dress has lined bodice and an attached Petticoat with netting ruffles. Lapped zipper has covered button trim. B has a contrast overskirt and purchased ribbon for sash.
Let me tell you that there seemed yards of fabric in the skirt. Before I started the pleating when folded in half it would fit me, so there are some very large pleats reducing the fabric to fit a 2.5 year old.
The netting ruffles seemed to go on for ever, and I decided rather that doing running stitches, I would use my pleating attachment that was purchased for my old machine. This made life a little easier, however I had to be careful that the prongs didn't rip the netting.
Although Alana will be 3 in July, the measurements on the envelope provided that I cut out the size for age 2 (she isn't very big).
So here is a preview of the work so far. Sadly my mannequin Edna is far tooooooooo big to fit on her, so I had to make do with just popping the dress on a hanger.
There is still quite a bit of work to do, I need to sew the petticoat and attach the ruffles to it, and line the bodice, but I am pleased with how this is looking. The big girls will wear dresses in a similar colour to the purchased ribbon (this is just wound round the waist to give an idea of what the cummerbund will look like).
Phew half a dress completed only 6.5 dresses to go (including my own and I haven't even purchased the fabric yet).
Wish me luck readers...................