Sunday 24 February 2013

My 1st Bridesmaid dress started 6.5 dresses to go

Following the birth of my 2nd Granddaughter yesterday I took little Alana off mum and dad's hands for a couple of hours so they could get some much needed rest, but used the time to allow me to measure her for her little bridesmaid dress.

I was feeling rather under pressure to start sewing for the wedding, especially as I only have 11 weeks 5 days to complete all my sewing and next weekend I won't be doing any sewing because we are off to Paris.

I managed to purchase some very pretty fabric that I want to use for my little bridesmaids and cut out the pattern today to make a start.

The bodice is a very simple the pattern envelope says:-

CHILDREN'S/GIRLS' DRESS AND CUMMERBUND: Fully underlined dress has lined bodice and an attached Petticoat with netting ruffles.  Lapped zipper has covered button trim.  B has a contrast overskirt and purchased ribbon for sash.

Let me tell you that there seemed yards of fabric in the skirt. Before I started the pleating when  folded in half it would fit me, so there are some very large pleats reducing the fabric to fit a 2.5 year old.

The netting ruffles seemed to go on for ever, and I decided rather that doing running stitches, I would use my pleating attachment that was purchased for my old machine.  This made life a little easier, however I had to be careful that the prongs didn't rip the netting.

Although Alana will be 3 in July, the measurements on the envelope provided that I cut out the size for age 2 (she isn't very big).

So here is a preview of the work so far. Sadly my mannequin Edna is far tooooooooo big to fit on her, so I had to make do with just popping the dress on a hanger.

There is still quite a bit of work to do, I need to sew the petticoat and attach the ruffles to it, and line the bodice, but I am pleased with how this is looking.  The big girls will wear dresses in a similar colour to the purchased ribbon (this is just wound round the waist to give an idea of what the cummerbund will look like).

Phew half a dress completed only 6.5 dresses to go (including my own and I haven't even purchased the fabric yet).

Wish me luck readers...................





21 comments:

  1. This is going to be beautiful.. Love it.. Wishing you the best..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - just relieved to have started.

      Delete
  2. Fortunately you are a very speedy sewist. You will wizz through the dresses with loads of time for your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I really need to get my sewing skates on........

      Delete
  3. What a cute little dress. You will be done your whole wedding party before you know it. Have fun in Paris next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the birth of your 2nd granddaughter! You are off to a beautiful start with that first bridesmaid dress. Wishing you all the best on completing all your sewing before the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you re Sofia, and thanks re the dress - feels good to have started.

      Delete
  5. How lovely - a baby! Alana's dress is so pretty - you are a busy gal, Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations on your new grandaughter,and of course the best of luck on getting the dresses done with some time to spare for your own,you do seem to sew very fast so hopefully not to much stress before the big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. again I really hope so, but I know I have two weekends where I can't do any sewing lol

      Delete
  7. Hi P
    I made this for a little girl last year, recycling some of her mum's wedding dress for the bodice and using other net for the rest. It looked gorgeous on. Customer satisfaction at its highest! Hope your little Alanna loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for the info on the dress - I managed to squeeze it on her today, but I need to reduce the length by about 3" because its very long on her - I am not sure many two year old children would be that tall. She tried it on - like hmmmmm its another question.

      Delete
  8. Ah, the pressure is on, Pauline! But if any one can speed-sew, it is you! Have fun in Paris and leave enough time to sew your own dream dress. (love the little bridesmaid dress!) Congrats on the new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely classic design! Your colors are really special, great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is almost as beautiful as your new grandbaby girl. Wow, Paris and also wedding sewing, what a busy, active time. You'll pull this off wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane I am now thinking have I got time to go to Paris but I should be able to start on the dress again on Wednesday.

      Delete
  11. So are you getting married, Pauline? It all sounds so exciting, but I don't know who is getting married.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joy I am getting married in about 11 weeks time lol. Its all very exciting times right now.

      Delete