Saturday 9 February 2013

Vogue 8854

Ok, so I didn't go for a BurdaStyle pattern, but decided to use up some fine knit I had in my stash to make up Vogue 8854.

Pattern Description: Loose-fitting, pullover tunic, has collar or hood, shaped hemline, narrow hem and snap closing.  Top-stitiching.  Wrong side shows on hemline and hood.

This was quite a easy pattern to make up, but I think it may be a tad too long for my 5' 4" frame, so might reduce the length in the morning by about 3" back and front to give me better proportions..


Unfortunately this was quite a fine knit and extremely see-through, so you can clearly see my tee underneath.  I think once I have shortened it, I'll wear it with a polo-neck jumper which should look better.  If the weather gets warmer, then I guess it would look ok with a camisole underneath too.

The only alteration I made to the pattern was to reduce the sleeve length by about 3", and they are still quite long (perhaps I have unusually short arms hmmmmm).  I didn't use the poppers as directed by the pattern because I topstitched the placket along the bottom edge and half way up the front.  This left more than enough room for me to pop my head through.

While I am demonstrating the hood up, I doubt that I'll ever wear it like this.  It is a HUGE hood and really is best kept just as a decorative feature.

All seams were sewn on my serger and top-stitching on my Bernina sewing machine (because I couldn't be bothered to keep changing from serger to coverstich on my Babylock).  Its times like this where I think I could do with a separate coverstich machine, but I really can't justify it at the moment.

I found a nice large button in my button box.  It was probably one of my mother's old buttons which is a nice thought. 

I am asking myself if I like this top or not.  I think once I reduce the length, and wear it with a similar coloured poloneck top I'll like it better.  If not, then its definitely a nice trendy tunic to wear lounging around with my PJ underneath. Perhaps I'll make some in a similar colour so they all blend in.

Thats my lot for the day.  Need some R&R to get over this "bug" I have, but do want to run something up tomorrow, so lets hope I feel better in the morning.

Catch you later....................


16 comments:

  1. Lovely top! You might be right about the lenght but that knit is fantastic! I'm always asking for it at my fabric stores and they always give me that look as I was nuts! Anyways, this one is a keeper for sure! One more thing: you are looking prettier and prettier every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top and it is too long on you. I want to see it after you shorten it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing this pattern and like that thin knit quite a lot. I agree that it could be shorter on you.....looks even long for someone tall as I am. Hope you are feeling wonderful again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed - it's too long. I have this pattern and I figured I'd have to shorten - looks like quite a bit for me. Would like to see it when you get it shortened.
    Marciae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is cute, Pauline!! It looks like you lost a lot of weight!? This is adorable...get to feeling better. You have to travel soon! Take care...xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks super on you - very slimming and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weight is vanishing Pauline! I like this top, it looks comfy and perfect for watching a B&W movie on a rainy Saturday afternoon curled up on the sofa. We need clothes to suit all occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look svelte. I will take you advice and shorten this, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute. You look great btw.

    Noriecreates.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the top but I would defintely shorten it, then I believe I will LOVE the top! Very cute over the same color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very classy :) I love the hood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yet another vote for shortening it. It's a cute top though and you will be comfortable in it, I'm sure. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a bug and after two weeks I finally have my energy back.
    I've had my eye on this pattern too. I agree it's too long but it is cute. It will make a very stylish lounger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, a bit shorter. But great fabric and you look so cute in this! Hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unfortunately this was quite a fine knit and extremely see-through, so you can clearly see my tee underneath. I think once I have shortened it, I'll wear it with a polo-neck jumper which should look better. If the weather gets warmer, then I guess it would look ok with a camisole underneath too.
    sana safinaz wholesale
    sana safinaz wholesale catalogue

    ReplyDelete