I am still here, but figured that you didn't need a step by step run-down on how my wedding dress is getting along.
I am so glad that I started when I did because there is a lot of work in it - thank goodness I have 4 weeks and 6 days to finish it (hmmm is that enough time?).
Because there is a lot of weight in the skirt I decided I definitely needed a waist stay - at least this holds the dress up without me exposing parts of me that should definitely be under wraps at my age.
My current dilemma is trying to fit the zip in. An easy enough task you might think, yes, but because of the design of the dress, I need the fit to be snug and somehow the dress is a fraction too big (might be the diet).... so there I was yesterday afternoon, trying to pin the back of my dress on myself to work out how much fabric I need to remove in the zip area (there is definitely too much). Those of you who have done this many time before will understand how difficult this is. Armed with sharp pins, it is inevitable that you will stick the odd pin in yourself, and of course I did. I decided the best way was to baste the zip in at the point I marked it with the pins (lining and fashion fabric) and then try on again before attempting to cut or sew with the machine.
Ordinarily I could ask my D Mike to give me a hand, but alas, old-fashioned superstition prevails and I don't want him to see me in my dress before the wedding.
I'll continue hand-basting the zipper in this morning, and I also have Sharlene coming today to try on her dress. Hopefully the basted side seams are fine, and its just a case of using a smaller stitch to secure the seams and pinning her hem. I am not entirely happy with the sleeve on these two particular bridesmaid dresses. I am hoping meticulous clipping and pressing will do the trick.
I have started to break in my wedding shoes by wearing them around the house when my D Mike isn't here. I do look a sight in my PJ's and very high shoes, but who cares...... Another 20 weeks or so and they will be fine lol.
On the illness front, I am glad to report, while there is still a need to keep a tissue to hand, my cold has improved so much that I no longer just feel "ill", which is a great relief. I just hope I can manage to avoid any further bugs or viruses until after the wedding.
I found time to ensure I watched episode two of the Great British Sewing Bee. Sadly Tilly and Mark both got eliminated, but our dear Ann is still in the running so good luck to her. I have really enjoyed the show, and hope that this will not be the only series, roll on episode 3 on Tuesday evening.
I have taken the odd foray into the blogging/PR/SG world to see what is going on outside my own little sewing cave, and there have been some fabulous creations. I took advantage of the Sew Direct buy one, get two free offer last week, and I am now the proud owner of even more patterns that I will never have time to sew up. There are one or two gems in there, that I just can't wait to get my hands on, so watch this space, but not until after the wedding :-(
Right, I need to get back into my sewing room to get a couple of hours work in before our guests arrive.
Catch you all later.....................