McCalls 5818 is a favourite pattern of mine, sewn once before (never blogged about) in a nice linen mix and it has been on my to-do list for quite some time.
The beige fabric is was leftover after making Butterick 5180 , which I made last weekend.
This is a nice wool crepe and I found some grey fabric in a similar weight in my stash and made my first colour block dress. Yes I know, I am very slow out of the gate on this one, but again its been on my list, and I am very pleased with the result.
This is a brilliant pattern if you have never used it before - wait for it, there are a total of 2, yes 2 pattern pieces - cut 1 front on the fold and cut 2 back pieces. Repeat for the lining.
There are front and back darts and a nice collection of pleats in the front and one on the shoulder of each back piece.
To get the split between the bodice colour and the skirt colour I located the waist mark on the pattern and added 5/8" to the bodice and the same to the top of the skirt and then simply stitched them together. I then laid the pattern pieces back onto the fabric and marked up the darts and pleat markers.
Sewing this up is relatively easy. Once the pleats and darts have been sewn, sew the back to the front at the shoulders. Repeat for the lining and then right-sides together sew the neck edge and the armscyes and understich as far as possible.
Turn inside out pulling the back piece through the tube of the shoulder strap. Insert zip and then sew side seams and hem.
Couldn't be easier.
I made the self-fabric belt using some of my roller blind fabric again - I cut 3"x 34" piece of the roller blind fabric, folded it in half and stitched it together. I then cut 3"x 34" in the grey fabric, folded it in half, stitched, turned right-side out. Press and then insert the roller blind fabric (to stiffen the belt). I found the cream buckle in my stash.
I purchased the little grey cardigan from Marks and Spencer especially to wear with this dress, but I also made the same dress in the cream too and the grey cardigan and belt work with that too.
All fabric and notions were purchased from Walthamstow market at £1 per metre so I think I can say the dress cost me less than £5.00.
We have a bank holiday this weekend so more sewing opportunity tomorrow and I have also booked Tuesday as a day's holiday so if possible I'll get some more done. At the moment I am thinking a jacket in the grey to complete the two-piece suit.
Hope you have had a good weekend. Catch you later..........................