Saturday, 16 July 2011
I seem to make things in batches and my latest batch sew is PJ's.
I decided to use an old tried and tested vest pattern M5977 for the top this time, but instead of binding the neck edge I made a 1" wide frill first by using the wave function on my babylock evolution serger on both sides. I then used a long stitch length (6) stitched down the centre with my sewing machine. Once gathered, I stitched both a pink ribbon and the frill to the neck edge of the top.
For the pants I used my self drafted pant pattern but eliminated the side seams by overlapping the back and front piece to create one pattern piece for both back and front.
I simply sew the inside leg on each piece, insert one leg inside the other and then sew the back and front seams - you now have your pant.
For the elasticated waist I cut a piece of elastic that fitted nicely around my waist and overlapped the two ends together and stitched using a zig-zag stitch. I divided the elastic into 4 and did the same with the pant waist and stitched the elastic to the pant using my serger. The next stage is to turn the elastic waistband inwards and stitch using a honeycomb stitch on my sewing machine. One tip I picked up on my Threads DVD was to steam the elastic with the iron once finished as this helps reduce any stretching during the stitching process (and I am sure it worked).
This is a really nice comfy pair of PJ's (wore them last night) and I have enough of the pink knit left to make a nice long cardigan so I have a 3-piece set to lounge around in.
Long Cardigan next, this is my job for later today..
and here is the end result - the pink knit is quite thin, so the cardigan give some modesty cover and keeps the chill off when sitting in the lounge.
Here is the PJ top on Edna to give you a better idea on how it looks.
next project has to be something I can wear during the day not at night ha ha.