Here is the completed Butterick 5705 and I am delighted with it.
I made a few changes to the original pattern. I decided to add an interlining to this and inserted organza to the bodice and skirt pieces. As you can see from the hem, you don't see any stitches because you catch the interlining and not the dress. I also inserted an invisible zipper rather than using a lapped zip. I decided against making the covered buttons predominately due to the time constraints, I can always revisit if I have time.
The cummerbund is made out of the same fabric that I am using for the adult bridesmaids and compliments the pale gold fabric beautifully.
When I made my first cummerbund I didn't use anything to stiffen the crepe backed satin. This caused the bows at the back of the dress to, well just flop!!! I didn't like the effect so added the organza to all the pieces of the cummerbund as well, which once tied allow you to puff out the bow and more or less shape it.
Tomorrow I have booked a day's vacation and the job list includes:-
- Complete the 2nd cummerbund,
- Press the hem of the 2nd dress and these two little dresses are good to go (phew).
- Cut out and make a start on the dress for my 10 year old bridesmaid.
Catch you later.