Sunday 2 September 2012

McCalls 6116 shirtdress

Well I have made good progress this weekend by finishing a couple of projects.

As mentioned in my previous post my Prym snaps arrived so I was able to finish McCalls 6116 which is actually a shirtdress, but I cut it off at the hip to produce this sort of tunic/shirt.


This was made from a remnant of coral coloured linen that I had left over after making two pairs of self-drafted cropped pants posted about here.  I love these snaps and have bought a variety to use in other projects.  I like this top with my white jeans, but it works well with the matching cropped pants worn with a white vest and the shirt left open.

I made my normal FBA and sway back adjustment on this top and can't recommend the pattern highly enough.  I used my cover-stitch to top-stich all the seams on this shirt to give it a RTW look.  I am really pleased that I have been converting my Bablylock Evolution from serger to cover- stitch really easily now, and love it.  I would like to look at using the underside of the stitch on the right-side of the fabric to create a different look to some of my garments (watch this space).

I love this pattern and will be making a full length shirtdress later.

I will blog about my other items I completed this weekend separately (see following posts)

Catch you later..............

16 comments:

  1. Wow- Pauline - such a great color on you and you are looking so fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha you are very sweet to say that.

      Delete
  2. I have never used snaps before - must give them a go! This top is a beauty - think I might just have to add it to my list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith - I have bought several different types (even some that look like pearl buttons) so am keen to have a go on a cardigan now.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love it! Perfect dress for cropping

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top and nice that you can make it into a dress. Love it with the white jeans. Bet it looks great with the matching crop pants also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ann - this top feels good on too so think I'll get a lot of wear out of it.

      Delete
  5. Great top - lovely colour and goes great with the white jeans. Very fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great top! This looks so great on you! Love the color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know your business travel basics are better in the neutrals, but I adore it when you wear color, such as in this blouse. So lovely. I have not visited your blog in awhile. The weight loss is really noticeable. Good job. As a volunteer informal educator, I can certainly relate to your story about public speaking. The wedding updates are delightful. Love the car. ---Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty top! The snaps are a perfect compliment to the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As mentioned in my previous post my Prym snaps arrived so I was able to finish McCalls 6116 which is actually a shirtdress, but I cut it off at the hip to produce this sort of tunic/shirt.
    stitched designer pakistani suits
    cross stitch pakistani suits

    ReplyDelete