Friday 25 November 2011

Day off - time to indulge in some cycling and shopping

I had booked today off so I went off exploring on my bike.

My first trip was to one of my old haunts Leather Lane Market.  I found one of those book stalls that sell the magazines that have just gone out of date, I managed to buy an Australian smocking magazine which not only gave me loads of inspiration, it also had free patterns inside, an Instyle magazine and a slimming magazine.  All three magazines had a retail value of over £10 but I managed to get all three for 1.50.  Just as I was about the leave I saw a great cook book from River Cottage on vegetarian cooking.  I have been following the TV series and been inspired by some of the recipes he has made, so couldn't resist the book.




I wont bore you with the great value fruit and veg that I bought, but you will be interested in the little stall selling some wonderful fabrics ranging from £1 a metre to £3 a metre for some silk organza.  I spent £20 in total and bought 1 metre of the silk organza, 2 different types of knit (I can see another Jalie top in the making), some grey pinstripe to make some trousers and some 2 way stretch lace in both white and cream, very wide and only £1 a metre, so I bought 3 metres of each colour because it is a really good for underwear, stretch tops etc.






I then cycled on to Dalston Market and found the silver grey and black charmeuse that you can see on the right for only £1.50 per metre and the white cotton you can see at the top of the picture on the right.  I need more of this to continue embroidering my little squares for Alana/Ella's quilt.










Just so you can see the pattern on the silk organza I have opened it up over of the sofa - This will make a top with some lovely sleeves.

Last but not least, I stopped off at a sewing supplies shop nr Dalston Junction and purchased some interfacing, zips, elastic and and thread to keep here at the flat.


All in all I had a lovely day, mooching around, under no pressure of time, and didn't have to worry about upsetting anyone because I was taking too long, and I have managed to wash everything except for the silk organza and the white cotton.


Last but not least, I found quite two cool websites.  The first is called Embroidery Library Projects  and the other was Wild Ginger  For any of you that do machine embroidery take a look at these.  Lots of tips, free software and projects.

So that was my day.  My D Mike has just got home from Germany so time to cuddle up and watch TV.

More later.........................................

8 comments:

  1. You found some good buys there - looking forward to seeing them made up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine

    thanks for your comment - yes can't wait - sadly I don't have any of my patterns here so need to either take the fabric back to my sewing room or bring some patterns here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Embroidery Library and their projects. I do buy from them for some of the projects I do. I might have to look carefully at those burp cloths.
    Seems like you had fun shopping yesterday. I got most of our Xmas shopping done and went on an interfacing shopping spree. It was 50% off at Fabricland so I bought 3 kinds plus some tear away and cut away stabilizer for embroidery.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great finds and what a lovely day. I'm intrigued by the black/white of the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pauline,
    I LOVE the new look of your blog! Very elegant and sassy at the same time. Thanks for the comments on my tops. Your lovely blouses are my inspriration...you're truly the "top queen". Thanks, dorcas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pauline,
    Did you know that Palmer/Pletsch has a contest going where you can win tuition to one of their fitting workshops? I entered and hope to win...lol! Check out their website palmerpletsch.com. Hey, you never know...we may both win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damp Proof Cream - thank you so much for your comment I am always thrilled when I receive comments especially when someone says how much they enjoy my blog (blush).

    Look out for my next post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect day. And think of all the fun sewing that's yet to come. Lucky girl

    ReplyDelete