Wednesday 2 November 2011

Lecturer for the day

A few months back I went to a local branch meeting of my professional Institute which coincidently was held at the university where I studied as a mature student.


When I was there, I had the most wonderful mentor at the university who gave me so much support, encouragement and guidance, at a time when I wondered what prospects were open to a 40yr old graduate with 3 teenage children to support single-handed. 


12 years later I felt that I needed to put something back into the system so to speak, and offered up my services to talk to the students on my subject matter so that they can hear about real-life applications of their subject, and today was the day.


Booted and suited I drove to the university to give my presentation to a group of Masters students (including some mature students) and I am pleased to say that nobody fell asleep and I even had questions asked during the presentation and got a few laughs at some of the funny stories.


After the lecture I had a quick lunch with the class teacher and he said even he learned quite a few things from me that he wouldn't never have thought about, and was keen for me to come back and talk again next year.


Needless to say I was very flattered and accepted the invitation.


I really enjoyed myself today - I was a little worried that perhaps they would be more up-to-date on things than me because when you work for a large MNC your professional qualifications can get quite diluted, but I was fine.


Now just need to get back to the real world and loads of work, as they say, no such thing as a free lunch..............


More later.............................







No comments:

Post a Comment