Friday 11 November 2011

Vogue 8731 completed

 I mentioned the other day that I had cut out Vogue 8731 and tonight I managed to finish it.

I used a light-weight grey cotton knit - as usual from my beloved Walthamstow market for the usual price of £1 a metre.

The only alteration I made to the pattern was an upper sleeve width where I added an inch.  I used the Palmer Pletsch instructions, however I found this link which is quite useful if any of you are looking for some instructions. increase upper sleeve width I haven't put it to the test but looks the norm.

The pattern called for a bias tape to finish the neck edge of this tunic top, but I decided serge the neck, sleeves and hem using a short stitch to give a good cover.  For the sleeves and the hem, I turned these under to create a half inch hem and then used my sewing machine to stitch it into place.  The serging added some stability and weight to the fabric while being quick, easy and gaviving a nice neat finish.
For the neck edge I was a little undecided.  I didn't want to use a bias tape that would show through the fine fabric so my initial thought was to serge the neck edge and then turn it under, but I decided to leave it as the finished edge.

I have put this over Jalie 2805 which I blogged about last weekend and I think it works well.  I guess this was really designed as a summer top, but the polo/turtle neck makes it suitable to wear during what is starting out to be a mild winter.

Will I make it again ? Yes probably it was quick, easy and comfortable to wear and I think a few bits of costume jewellery will transform this tunic for different occasions.

I need to start on my Roman blinds to finish them all before Lewis goes up to finish the remaining things at the flat.  Unfortunately by the time I ordered the kits last night, of course I missed the next day delivery slot, and it seems that I will not get them until Monday.

Fortunately I do have some of the tape used to guide the cords through the blind, so I should be able to make a start on these tomorrow.

More later............................. 

5 comments:

  1. I prefer the look of your serged neckline, a change from a biased look.
    Recently I was awarded the Versatile Bloggers award (yeah!!!) and therefore need to pass it onto several other bloggers that I enjoy following.
    Would you mind if I pass it onto you and your blog???
    Thanks, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith

    thank you for your comment on my top - and thank you for thinking of me for the award, yes please............ Like you I still consider myself to be a newbie so lets see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty good Pauline. I can't believe you can buy jersey for a £1 a metre on the market!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruthie

    Every bit of fabric I buy in this shop is either £1 a metre or they do have some at £1.50 a metre too. It is all excellent stuff so next time you are in London let me know and I will take you for a visit - you would get your train fair back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking top! Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete