Saturday, 12 November 2011

Corded Piping - something old, something new

A couple of weeks ago blogged about the scatter cushions I made to match my headboard and Roman blind for the bedroom in the flat.  For these I used some old Venetian blind cords and some of the Roman blind fabric to make some corded piping.

This is only about the 2nd time I have made my own corded piping, and was eager to make some finer piping to go into some clothing projects.

I popped into my sewing machine shop to pick up a part's pamphlet so that I can give some Xmas/birthday present hints for my kids.  They always ask me what I want, and to be frank, some Madera thread for my embroidery machine or accessories for my sewing machine is always a welcome gift however big or small.

While I was waiting for the shop mechanic to find a price list for me I was browsing the sewing machine feet and looking in particular for a piping foot.  I found what I was looking for, it was a little bit more expensive than I was expecting £30 to be precise, but undeterred, I decided I just to have one, and I am really pleased that I bought it.

When I finished the Roman blind earlier today, I came downstairs to cook tea and I then sat down to watch some TV, and typical of me, at 10pm I decided to go upstairs and find an old tie and use it to make some corded piping.

I have read about using ties before, especially if you can find some nice silk ones, and they often turn up in charity shops or jumble sales.  For my mini test project I found one of the kids old school ties that had been sitting in the wardrobe upstairs for the past 9 years.  I opened up the back seam and used one of the pressed edges to run my 4mm cord down.

The piping foot has a channel cut out of it, which sits nicely over the fabric and the cord.  You need to move the needle to the left to get the stitches as close to the cord as you can and here are some pic's of my sample piece.

There is enough fabric in the tie to make another 2 lengths of piping.

I took my fabric and stitched 5/8" from the edge using a long stitch to give me a placement mark for the piping.

Still using the piping foot I then sewed the piping to the right side of the fabric using the tacked marks for a guide - I guess you could use a air soluble pen too.  For the corner I clipped little V's to make sure it went round ok.

Next take the 2nd piece of fabric and right-sides together sandwiched the corded piping in-between and  once again use the piping foot to stitched close to the cord.

I haven't pressed any the sample I made here, but you can see the results are not too bad.

I have ordered a larger amount of 4mm cord from ebay £9.99 for 80mtrs so I can use up my scraps of fabric, or if I can find some nice silk ties in a charity shop, to make decorative piping to insert into projects.  I have found a nice Jean jacket pattern which I think may accommodate some decorative piping - I just need to go through my stash to find the right fabric for it.

Well time for bed, so more later.................................. 


  1. What a clever idea Pauline. Not sure I'd make enough use of it to be worth buying the foot though.

  2. You got one!! How exciting. I have two - one for finer piping and one for cording. I use both. I also have rulers that have a groove in them for the piping and you can cut the edge to different widths. It is a quilting tool/ruler.

    I make a lot of custom piping for my western shirts. I might even make some when I sew for myself.