Monday 19 March 2012

Babies = pillow mementoes

There have been two new babies this week so I had to get the embroidery machines busy again.

First at the finishing post was a new grandson for my neighbour who lives across the road - little Jay was born on the 13th of March and closely followed by my best friend's first granddaughter Isabelle who was born on the 16th March.

When my neighbour's first granddaughter arrived I made this little pillow as a momento of the birth of the baby who is called Poppy.  Now just under 2 years later she has a baby brother so I have made another pillow.








As you know I have made the Winnie the Pooh quillow for my friend's baby so that was the main gift done, but I wanted to make a little memento for little Isabelle to record the time, date, weight and name of the new baby, the same as I did for Poppy and this is what I came up with.

I decided to make a little round frilled cushion to which I attached a pink ribbon to so it can be hung from a hook/nail in the baby's room.

I embroidered this using my Janome 350E embroidery machine and designed the layout using my Janome Digitzer MB software and imported the pre digitized Pooh bear into my design.

Once the embroidery was completed I attached the embroidered fabric to some wadding and stitched  a circle following the shape of the embroidery.

For the frill, I used my Babylock serger/overlocker and reduced the stitch length to .5 to give a good tight edge.  I then gathered the fabric strip by setting the differential feed as high as it would go, increased the stitch length to 4 and this created the frill, which I then attached to the cushion.

Right-sides together I sewed back and front cushion pieces together leaving a gap large enough to turn it right-sides out and fill with wadding.  I then sewed the opening together and finished with the self-made bow.

Here is beautiful little Isabelle, Nana Anne and Mum Naomi.

2 comments: