Here are the last two shirts ( the one on the left is made from a beautiful Oxford broadcloth, and the one on the rights from a shot satin which hates to be photographed - too shiny).
This has been quite a journey, and there have been ups and downs during this whole process, but on the whole I have really enjoyed making these. While the deal I made with my D Mike will result in a beautiful designer handbag, in truth I would have been more than happy to do this just for the love of it, because it is a delight that he is so happy to wear something I have made for him.
As regular readers of my blog will know I have been making other things along with these shirts in the last two months, but here are the stats below:-
Pattern used: Kwik Sew 3883
Alterations to pattern:
- Added back pleats
- French cuffs
- Flat felled seams
- Collar stays
Fabric used: 22.5 meters various fabrics
- Bernina Aurora 440QE
- Janome 350e embroidery machine
Machine feet used in addition to the normal foot:
- No.10 for top stitching
- No. 3A for buttonholes
- No.70 for flat felled seams
- No. 68 for hems
Mistakes made on this journey:
- Sewed sleeves on the wrong way round
- Top stitching went wrong so had to unpick it
- Sewed some of the buttonholes too small and had to unpick them
- Managed to use my No.68 foot for hemming the shirts (I struggled with this foot in the past).
- Perfected my method for sewing my collars thanks to Margy posting a very useful tutorial on her blog.
- Came 2nd in the PR contest (One Pattern many looks) - THANK YOU VERY MUCH IF YOU VOTED FOR ME
- Learned how to perfect top stitching the points on the collars from an article in the Threads magazine
- Embroidery in the yoke of each shirt culminating in 10/10 CC (= the last shirt that gets my beautiful bag) - Mike often says I am going to wear number 3 today or number 6 which I think is really funny.