Tuesday 17 April 2012

Log Cabin - Catherine Wheel Quilt tutorial - Part 1.

A couple of people asked for a tutorial on the simple log cabin blocks that convert into the Catherine Wheel lap quilt.

I will do this tutorial in a few parts as there is quite a bit of information, so here is part 1 to get you going.

The following should produce a lap quilt 44" square.

In addition to the list below, you will need backing fabric for your quilt and 2oz cotton wadding.




If you translate the above to my quilt, it would be as follows:-

White = my beige background colour
Dark blue = the large Blue floral print
Red = the turquoise
Gray = the small blue floral print

You can select your own colours and then just mark them up accordingly.

The main centre is made of 16 large blocks in 4 combinations measuring 8" when finished.  Each block should be worked separately to avoid getting confused.  Its helpful to colour code your blocks on paper before you start so you know which colours you should be using.

All seams should be an accurate 1/4" (6mm) along the 6" strips.  To avoid using up lots of thread when you finish sewing each section, use a thread saver.  This is a small 1/2 - 1" fabric scrap, when you reach the end of your seam, do not pull the threads out to cut in the normal way, but continue stitching on to the thread saver fabric and clip the threads close to the end of the seam. (you can reuse these when you cut them off later as you sew on subsequent strips).  You will save so much thread.

For the first few strips you can finger press the seams (do not press them open) but as the block gets bigger you may want to iron the seams (wrong and right sides) before moving on.

As you finish each piece, stack them - wrong side up, with the last piece you sewed facing you - I am right handed and find it easier to keep everything on my right.  so using the blocks above, number 2 would be the last piece you sewed and that is what would be facing you ready to position on to piece 3.






OK, lunchtime over I need to get back to work.  I will post subsequent parts as soon as possible.

Catch you later....................




4 comments:

  1. I left this on SG, but then thought it may help to be here.
    You have 4 colors listed - which color on your chart = the color number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BeeBee I have updated the post here so it corresponds with my colours on my quilt.

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeahh tutorial.. I loved your quilt and will bookmark this for reference

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Rachel - I will try and get the rest completed asap.

    ReplyDelete