Saturday, 7 April 2012

Chanel Jacket - P's journey (test jacket continued) - 4

Today I managed to get some more work done on my Chanel jacket.

I looked in my stash and couldn't find any trim that would match the fabric well enough so dashed to my local market to see what I could find.  The only colour was white, which I thought was too harsh against the autumn colours of the jacket so decided to dye it in some tea.

The picture above is just my test sample, but I was pleased enough with it to pop all of the trim in the tea for an hour or so.  I rinsed the trim out in some hot water a couple of times and then hung it on the line to dry.

Meanwhile I got on with interfacing each jacket piece.  I used some interfacing similar to the perfect fuse lite to give enough support to the jacket to stop it getting pushed out of shape.

I found some nice beige lining which I cut out to line the jacket, for the back piece I decided to omit the back seam and then stitched the first row of quilting stitches down the back seam.

Using my guide that came with the Bernina walking foot, I worked from the centre out stitching 1" apart.

Here you can take a preview of what the jacket back will look like after the quilting.

And here is the jacket from the front.

This is probably as far as I will get with the jacket today because we have my D Mike's  sister's 50th birthday party to go today, but I feel I have made good progress.

While I was out this morning I found some trim that goes with my Linton Tweed perfectly, so that was a real result.

I hope you are getting on with some of your own projects.

Catch you later.......................... 


  1. Looking good! You're sure this is a muslin???

  2. You will certainly have a wearable muslin when you finish this jacket. It is turning out so good.

  3. This is looking fabulous. That is a beautiful cut to the jacket and will look great on. Enjoy the party!

  4. Love the idea of creating your own trim colour to work beautifully with the jacket fabric. This is going to be one stunning 'muslin' jacket when finished...

  5. Thank you all for the lovely comments.

    Sigrid, my first muslin was made out of calico just to make any adjustments needed. I am still calling this my wearable muslin because of all the untested techniques I am using.

    Doobee, I am debating if I should dunk it again perhaps in some coffee - still not sure it its too light - will have to test on my litte sample to see.

    Just having a quick break before 14 turn up for lunch phew............

  6. I concur with the others - you 're making a very wearable jacket here, not a muslin.