Friday 13 April 2012

Chanel jacket - progress quilting and side seams

Well I have good news and bad news......

First I am off on a sewing retreat weekend in about an hours time (more about that when I get back), so as today was booked off as a vacation I decided to take the opportunity to do a little bit of work on my Chanel jacket.

I have now managed to finish quilting the lining pieces to the fashion fabric front pieces - yippeee, and I am now blind stitching the lining seams together.  Basically once you have sewn the jacket seams and press open in the normal way, you need to trim back the seam allowance to a scant 1/4" to reduce the bulk.

As you can see from the bottom picture, you fold the lining edges inwards and then blind stitch the two pieces together by hand - this is work in progress but you can see what the final look will be.  This is quite nice relaxing work.



Now to the bad news - I guessed the amount of trim I needed, and while I have more than enough to go all the way around the jacket, I will not have enough for the sleeves and the pocket trims, drat and blast @!@!@!@

Well just go and buy some more I hear you say.  Well not a problem, however I can only buy this from my local market on a Saturday morning and I am away tomorrow, and will not be able to go back until the following weekend. The other problem is the tea dye.  I may not make the tea as strong or as weak as the first, and therefore come up with a completely different colour, so I think I will have to buy another 4-5 yards extra because I will have to dye it again.

I do have one question for you lovely readers - do you like the lighter colour (which almost looks like a gold tinge in real life) or do you think I should try and dye it a little darker - perhaps coffee rather than tea.  Bunny if you are reading this - I know you are the queen of dying so am sure will have some tips.

Yes yes, its my own fault, less haste, more speed as they say, or a stitch in time saves nine.....  or in this case if I have bought more, or measured better, I wouldn't have to go back again deep sigh.

Of course I only bought the same amount for my wedding version of this jacket, so I will have to buy some more of that trim too but thankfully, dying wasn't necessary for that, so I can get away with buying an additional 2 yards.

Last night I went to see The War Horse - fantastic - if you get the chance to go, you will be utterly amazed at the ability of the puppeteers, they made those horses and the great goose, come to life.

Ok, I need to get packed and sorted ready to go.  Have a great weekend whatever you are doing, catch you later.....................




2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...I'm finally first at something? I may have beat you to a bra HOWEVER, yours will be flawless when finished and mine is not. AND, you'll be wearing yours under a Chanel suit. About the trim, I like the contrast of the light trim. Coffee would be pretty but for summer I like the light. Enjoy your weekend. Can't wait to see how you love making the bra!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time at your sewing retreat. How I wish I could be there.

    I am the opposite of ArtAttack. I would like to see the trim darker but then again I like less contrast. I am working on that though. Can hardly wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete