Friday 6 April 2012

Chanel Jacket - P's journey (test jacket) - 3

I feel like I have a ticking time bomb hanging over my head because I need to finish my test Chanel jacket so I can be brave enough to put scissors to cloth and make up some of my beautiful Linton Tweed fabric.

Before I continue please ignore some of the lay-out of this posting I am experimenting with Adobe and its too late for me to concentrate.  I hope to improve, so apologies.

Back to my post.  In my first Chanel jacket post I had cut my calico muslin, made a couple of adjustments for a FBA, and made the same adjustment on my pattern pieces (front piece only).

I looked in my stash for some fabric that would be similar to the Linton Tweed fabric, with a fairly open tweed and found this nice multi-coloured tweed.

I am using  Burda 7934 pattern for my jacket but this pattern doesn't have a sleeve vent, so using the instructions from "Jackets for Real People" I made my own vents as follows:-


Sew the two sleeve pieces together and then get ready to create your mitred sleeve vent.


Unfold and draw a line connecting the snips and the corner intersection of the hem and the vent fold lines as follows:-



Now turn to the right side, pinching the points between your forefinger and thumb and push corners out gently (use a point turner if necessary) and press again.

You should now have the perfect mitred corner - this works really well.


The only thing I would differently when I make my blue wedding jacket will be to make a deeper hem for the sleeve, thus giving a longer vent, but this is fine for this jacket.

I am not sure what trim I will use - I love this vintage trim that I have had for about 30 years or so, and may even use it for my blue Linton Fabric (not sure yet) - I just placed these here to give you an idea.

I am sure there are some of you out there thinking why start with the sleeve?  Well to be honest I made the adjustment on the pattern, cut out the sleeves in the fashion fabric and sort of got carried away.

Tomorrow I want to sew the back, side and front pieces together and the 2nd sleeve.  If I get a chance I may quickly run to the shops and see if I can find some trim - If I get going on this I want to try and finish it by Monday and all the shops will be shut.

We have had the most beautiful day here today, not as predicted, I hope you are all having fun if today was a bank holiday for you too.

Catch you later................

5 comments:

  1. Great tutorial... I'm dying to see the blue version...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. Can hardly wait to see you jacket.

    Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on the sleeve - it's these little things that make the difference. Show us a pic of the Linton or is it a big reveal later?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth this is the link to my Linton Tweed fabrics so the only big reveal is with the finished jacket

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gLx78xEtODE/T23KJRhfvaI/AAAAAAAABqk/7WGYRtPo3Wo/s400/DSC03468.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "muslin" tweed is gorgeous. I take it on this muslin you aren't doing any quilting or such. Just curious. I think your muslin is going to be quite special. Great tute on the miter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete